Monday, March 08, 2010

WAITING UPON THE LORD; RENEWED FOR GREAT THINGS


Loving God who moves mountains, move the one this dear reader may be facing; in Christ Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Here is today's verse from among so many that are our favorites:

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

The key word is wait. The second one is Lord. Sometimes the distance between wait and Lord seems like an eternity why? Back to the first key word, wait. For those of you not yet following this, we're the cause! Our impatience gets in the way of some marvelous things that God is preparing for us and we get so excited that we cannot wait. For example, some years ago I went to a diet counselor and she was full of marvelous tips and sayings about what is wrong with us who love to eat. She said, "If you are the type who go to the grocery store and as you're putting the grocery bags in the trunk of the car and you can't wait to eat and you grab one of the items to eat on the way home - you have an eating problem!" Yikes! She was right. I am one of those types and I remembered back to when I was growing up, on grocery day (yes, we only had one every couple of weeks. Now it seems I should have at least a cot over at HEB), as soon as those bags hit the kitchen table three ravenous boys would tear open the package of franks and the celery and poof no hot dogs tonight! The same for celery in our salads! And the same can be applied to several other things in our lives that cause our renewal of strength to be delayed. If we can patiently wait upon the Lord, walk or even limp along with Him, our strength to face life and all of its adventures and challenges will be renewed. And not just renewed, the prophet knew that it comes in majestic ways like the "wings as eagles." He knew from watching the sky that this kings of the air soared and so do they that wait upon the Lord and are renewed by Him.

It gets better. Our renewal also involves our being able to run and not grow weary and to walk and not faint. You know the prophet had been there. He had lived this and he had felt weariness and fainting, but God made it all better.

What's your story? What has affected your ability to wait upon the Lord. Make it a part of your prayer life today to ask God to bless you as you await your renewal.

PRAYER: Loving God of eagles and humans, bless me in my waiting upon You. You know that sometimes I get anxious and want immediate response to my needs and fears and worries. Help me to wait on You and as I do I pray again for the renewal I need in my life. I want to be strong, I want to soar for You. I want to run for You and not grow weary and I want to walk wherever it is that You need and not faint. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde