Monday, September 24, 2012

The first thing: Pray!

1 Timothy 2: 1 "1. The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know" (The Message)

This picture is from last summer, but it was the second time I was asked if I wanted to "pray on the kneeler that the Rev. John Wesley used before any trip, any sermon, any letter he wrote, etc." This after the guide in 2005 asking if Nellie and I wanted to see the Power Center of Methodism. I knew immediately what he was referring to, for John Wesley was a man of deep prayer. As was Paul, as were the Twelve after Jesus showed them how, and as was Jesus Himself. If Jesus had any Holy Habits, it was His willingness to be in conversation with God. It is no surprise to read that Paul's first instructions to young Timothy on this new assignment he has given him, is to pray. Prayer is the foundation of any undertaking. Prayer is the first step of any journey. Prayer is the opening of any door, or for that matter, the closing of any door, that says, "I trust You, Lord!" Note that Paul says for Tim to pray "every way you know how..." That means there is no correct posture or script to follow. Just do it! Pray! Talk to God. God listens. Then listen for God. Paul adds, "for everyone you know." Paul knew the importance of having a prayer blessing or covering over those you love and admire. Prayer can be felt as one faces a test or challenge. Prayer is offered in faith to God and God blesses both the one who is being prayed for, as well as the one doing the praying.

The reasons for not praying amaze me, and they must amuse God. The first is "I don't know how to pray." Just put two thoughts together and you've prayed. Just open your mouth and said what's on your mind and share what's in your heart. The second is "I don't have time to pray." We sure do find time to do other things. A spur of the moment invitation to lunch with a dear friend or unexpected guest. Or a pickup game of golf or basketball. But to set aside time to pray seems the most difficult challenge in the world And to not do it is to deny those for whom we need to pray and to ourselves, a rich and wonderful blessing.

As Paul told Timothy, God is telling you and me: "The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know." So be it.

PRAYER: Loving, listening God, may my first priority every day be to pray. May my first step out of bed be to my knees or in humble heart, to share with You that which I need. May it be so everyday in which I truly become a person of prayer. I ask this in the name of He who taught us to pray, "Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed by Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the Kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever, amen."

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde