Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Listening to God


Isaiah 50:4 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. 5 The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. 6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. 7 The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. 9 It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

The tongue of a teacher works better with an ear for God. The theme for this week shows that those who listen for God can teach better than those who listen only to themselves. The Gospel lesson for this week was the dialogue between Jesus and His disciples about what people were saying. That required a listening ear. But when Jesus asked who they thought He was, only Peter was able to answer with the correct response. Peter's ears had been listening to God. As should ours. The writer in Isaiah is aware of the awesomeness of his task, "to sustain the weary with a word," and what better word than a Word from God? Isaiah knew who spoke from his lips and that was God because Isaiah had learned early enough to listen to God. This past Sunday two dear brothers in Christ were thanking me for ConCafe and how they were faithful readers and one of them said he had saved one because it spoke to him. I could only reply with "God amazes me every morning, for some mornings I think I have nothing to say, and God does." Isaiah's attitude was to be an obedient listener. Do you remember your Mom or Dad trying to teach you something and you were so eager to get on with it but could have been hurt had you not listened completely to what was being taught? This is the same thing only more important; God has something to share with us, but we have to listen closely and eagerly. I remember the times I did not want to hear what either parent had to say, I wanted to go outside and play! Time for instruction was not for me at that time. Wrong. That kind of attitude even today does not help me nor bless me, for I must listen intently to God.

Isaiah's results were not always pleasant nor will ours, but a spirit of faithfulness to God still blesses us. I pray that none of you reading will have to have your backs struck or your beards pulled from your cheeks, but insults and verbal "spits" may come our way. If we have been listening to God and we are sharing what God has shared with us through prayer and Bible readings, we will not "be put to shame" (v. 7). God is near, always. Those who listen to God and stand together with God in our midst will stand victorious over all things. Attacks will come and go. Truth is eternal.

PRAYER: Loving God, as a I pray this morning, let me share what is on my heart and mind. Let me pray for those who have asked me for prayer. Let me ask for healing, recovery safe travel, reconciliations, transformation, nourishment, and all else that is needed among those whom I know and love. But I also ask that You might teach me to learn that after I say Amen to this prayer, it will be Your turn to talk. Let me listen obediently and intently. Let me receive from you exactly what I will need today so that I might indeed be a good teacher for You. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde