Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Relationship with God!

1 Timothy 2: 4 He wants not only us but everyone saved, you know, everyone to get to know the truth we've learned: 5 that there's one God and only one, and one Priest-Mediator between God and us - Jesus, 6 who offered himself in exchange for everyone held captive by sin, to set them all free. Eventually the news is going to get out. (The Message)

God wants everyone saved. You know, to get to know the truth we've learned: that there's one God and only one. I have shared with you this story before about an ill-fated canoe trip I took with my best friend. He was married at the time and I was single. We both worked for Ma Bell and we both had the notion we could canoe and camp out on the Guadalupe River, a gorgeous river that runs south of Houston, where we both lived at the time. We had rented a canoe, and we had all the other necessary camping equipment, tent, ice chest, you name it. Trouble was, in those days it still rained in Texas and on Monday of the weekend in which Lewis and Clark were to make their trek on the Guadalupe, it started to rain and rain hard. It rained until Thursday. My friend, Jerry, asked if I still wanted to take the trip. Not wanting to appear anything less than fearless, I replied that yes, I wanted to make the journey. We drove from Houston to the drop-off point and saw that the usually tranquil green river was now a rushing gray muck current. Jerry asked again. I had been looking forward to this for so long that again, stupidly, I said yes. We set off. Things went fine for several hours until we turned over and fell into the dirty water of the swollen river. The lifejacket I wore served only to choke me and I panicked. I saw the proverbial "life rush before my eyes" including seeing my dear mother crying over my coffin. I knew I was dead. Suddenly two strong arms lifted me up and pulled me to shore. Jerry saved my life. I know what it's like to be saved. Twice. Once before this physical one, Jesus saved me from a life of sin and doubt. I knew that I could trust Jesus with my life both here on the earth and beyond. The physical one served to illustrate just how powerful it is to come close to death and be pulled by strong arms out of certan death into life. Jesus told us that He came to give us life and life in abundance. He pulls us out of ordinary existence to fullness of life. He has pulled many out of the pits of hell's vices and temptations to have them see the newness of a life worth living. Jesus said in that same verse of life in abundance, that the thief comes with another purpose, and it's not salvation.

Paul wants Timothy to remember his relationship experience with Jesus. It was a truthful experience and one that God desires with all people. Paul knew it was up to him and Timothy to get that word out, for Paul says, "Jesus...offered Himself in exchange for everyone held captive by sin, to set them all free." And this, dear friends, is news, good news, that needs to be told to and by everyone.

What raging river has you in its grip dragging you to certain spiritual and eternal death? Why continue that silly struggle? Why not let Jesus pull you out of uncertainty and doubt, sin and destruction, to the place of life and that in abundance. It's a great way to live, in relationship; knowing that you're loved and that you matter to God and to many.

PRAYER; Loving God, may Your strong hands be with those who desire to be pulled out of sin and into the fullness of life. May we have the boldness to give thanks and glory to You for having saved us from an existence of shame and pain, into a fullness of life. That is good news and news that I need to help get out. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde