Thursday, September 13, 2012

GOD LISTENS TOO!

Psalm 116: 1 I love God because he listened to me, listened as I begged for mercy. 2 He listened so intently as I laid out my case before him. 3 Death stared me in the face, hell was hard on my heels. Up against it, I didn't know which way to turn; 4 then I called out to God for help: "Please, God!" I cried out. "Save my life!" 5 God is gracious - it is he who makes things right, our most compassionate God. 6 God takes the side of the helpless; when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me. 7 I said to myself, "Relax and rest. God has showered you with blessings. 8 Soul, you've been rescued from death; Eye, you've been rescued from tears; And you, Foot, were kept from stumbling." 9 I'm striding in the presence of God, alive in the land of the living! (The Message)

Yesterday we talked about listening to God so that we can be better speakers and teachers for God. Today, we learn that God loves to listen to us. In other words, PRAY! One of the people I hope to meet beyond the pearly gates is David's mother. I know his father was key as well, but something tells me that this little lady was something else, along the lines of Susanna Wesley. There is a lot to be said about that special parent who spends time listening and talking with their child(ren). There is also much to be said about those moms and dads who take time to teach the important things of God, beginning with prayer. David's mother I believe was one of those. I can imagine the conversations in their home. David was not an only child nor was he the oldest, yet I believe she took time out to treat David like she did Eliab, her firstborn. And somewhere in those conversations and teachings, she planted the seed of faith that blossomed out in the fields and pastures of that adventurous boy. David loved God and knew that God loved him. And in the love of that relationship David came to know that talking with God was as important as listening to God. Yes, David knew to pray in difficult times, but he also took advantage of "down time" to share with God. Look at the words of this passage again. David states the reason for his love for God; God listens. God listens so closely David knew to lay out his entire plan of need before God. This instance in David's life, he was facing something life-threatening and God listened. David's plea was simple: "'Please, God!' I cried out, 'Save my life!'"

God can straighten things out if we share what things need the straightening. God identifies and helps those who admit their weakness and powerlessness before God. God is compassionate. Even at the end of our rope, God can step in and make all things right. David illustrates this by addressing his soul, his eye, and even his foot. HIs journey among the living can continue.

God loves you. God wants to hear from you. His line is open. Call now.

PRAYER: Thank You, Loving God, for loving me and wanting to listen to me. There are times when it seems no one has time to listen or are not paying attention - You are. Help me to have a stronger and better prayer life. I want to give witness to You and as I listen to You I know You are listening to me. I pray this prayer of faith in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde