Monday, August 27, 2007

A LOVE THAT KNOWS NO BOUNDS


Good day dear friends.
As you pray during your morning devotional, thank God for the joy of praying for others, even those you don't know. When I've been in situations where I've needed prayer, I didn't stop to think about who knew me or didn't as they prayed, I thanked God for all who were praying for me. That's the joy of prayer! Please remember Grace Hyatt, I understood from someone yesterday in church that she had had a stroke and was now in rehab at Hays Nursing Center.
Here is today's study guide:
Monday: Song of Solomon 7, 8Song of Solomon 8:7 is one of the loveliest descriptions of love to be found anywhere. List three instances, from your personal observation or reading, where such love has been demonstrated.
Some of us might better know Song of Solomon 8:7 in this version: "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If one offered for love all the wealth of one's house, it would be utterly scorned."
Getting close to the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the image of "many waters" and "floods" takes on a whole new meaning to this passage. But the writer was referring to the many waters and floods of sadness and challenges that come to relationships, especially with our spouses, and his (or her as it is "The Woman" speaking!) firm belief is that nothing can come up against true love and win. When one has found and enjoys true love, nothing can take it away. And in the same understanding, one who is in love will take nothing for that love, not money, material goods, riches, etc. One stays with/in love.
In the Katrina reference, when folks started leaving the flood ravaged areas of the Gulf Coast and came to places, love welcomed them and provided for them. I was so proud of how we made our gym look in the event we received any victims in our area. Having received only one family, the love of church members for these who were hurting, allowed them to receive a place to live, places of employment, even assistance to enter the university.
How is your love? Do you just love the ones who love you? Do you love just the ones you know? That's not true love as shown by Jesus' teaching. His very life was given "for the whole world," not just those whom Jesus knew. May we have that same kind of love for others.
PRAYER: Loving God, author of love, come and visit my heart with a generous portion of love. May I see beyond myself and my limitations to love others, even those whom I do not yet know. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.