Friday, January 07, 2005

A Day for Special Prayer

Dear friends,

Let us spend this day in prayer. This being still part of the first of the New Year, several in our church and in many UM churches have prayed Wesley's Covenant Prayer. I am sharing that here so that we may pray it today and again Sunday and again as often as you wish.

Each word is important and shows the spirit of this man we credit with founding The United Methodist Church.

“I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee, Exalted for thee or brought low for thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal. And now, glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Thou art mine and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen."

To whom do I belong? I belong to God. Whom do I serve? I serve God. God decides where I go and ranks me where He would. I offer myself to serve and suffer. I offer myself to serve in a worthwhile way or to be set aside for God. God may exalt me or make bring me low, God is still praised! God may make me full (and not Taco Bell!) or I may be empty, either way God is to be praised. If I should possess all things or even if I have nothing, God gets the credit and glory. I freely and lovingly give all that I possess to God's pleasure and disposal. And the promise I prayed in the above prayer to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit shows that He is mine and I am His. And it's been heard in the hallways and ballrooms of Heaven; they've approved it and I should live it out here for the glory of God.

Have a great day!

Blessings,

e.v.