Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Here's Your Calling!

Good day dear friends.

Let us pray to the Lord as we start this day.

PRAYER: Gracious God of life, we thank you for today. We don't know yet what all we have to do or will be done for us or to us during these next hours, but we know we're not alone, for You are with us. We pray for a spirit of obedience to hear You as You direct us to faithfulness and service. We ask a blessing on those who return to school or to work after the long holiday weekend and break. Bless those who teach and those who supervise, bless those who work and study. We pray we might be a better people in all things and in all ways. Father, bless those who still have loved ones and family with them. May joy and peace reign in all hearts. And for those who travel today, may your traveling mercies be with them. We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

42:1 Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. 2 He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; 3 a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. 4 He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching. 5 Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who
walk in it: 6 I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, 7 to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. 8 I am the LORD, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols. 9 See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.

Did Isaiah know the words God placed in his heart to speak and write would one day describe God's own son? We know that Isaiah was a faithful prophet, who like most prophets spoke what God placed in their hearts not knowing whether the message would be received as a popular one or one that would cause riots. But God spoke through Isaiah the words that on the day of His baptism, Jesus heard. "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." Jesus was familiar with the writings. How did Jesus feel upon hearing those words? We can only imagine He felt that here was a confirmation to all his mother had shared with him about who he was and Whose he was. She surely shared the visits of shepherds and magi with him and as he studied his lessons in his faith, told him of what God had said would be his mission and purpose.

Jesus in turn shared a purpose with you and me. He called us into discipleship so that we could continue his ministry of justice. The justice spoken here is the invitation God offers to all to be in relationship with Him. We are called to be covenant people, trusting God to be with us and asking God to help us stay with Him. His message is our message. The light of the world has come and we should be sharing that with others. Have you ever stopped to think that one of your coworkers may be "blind" to God? He or she may have 20/20 vision but lack the vision of God's love. There's your call for today. Sharing God's love in ways that invite people to want to be a part of all God offers.

PRAYER: God of invitation and call, speak to us about that special message of justice and light. Give us boldness and courage to share it with all people. Let us be your servants in all ways and in all places. We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Have a great day today! Make it be a day of blessing for someone and you!

Blessings,

e.v.