Monday, January 17, 2005

My letter to Martin Luther King

Dear Martin,

This is your day. It is a bitter cold one here in San Marcos and we're awaiting the installation of a new water heater in the parsonage.

I write to celebrate that much has been done thanks to your leadership efforts and we celebrate the positive strides we as Americans have made in terms of civil rights. Much has been done and there is still much to do.

I normally don't write to you as Bishop Woodie White has done for so many years. I just read his 2004 letter to you and I note the joy and sadness in his voice as he celebrates God's call on his life into ordained ministry and as he retired from active ministry.

I share the sadness in my life as pastor and father at an incident that happened in a United Methodist church in another Texas city. Our daughters Carli and Caitlin went to church with their brother-in-law Eric. It was the first Sunday in this New Year and thus a Communion Sunday. They were running late and went to the same UM church where no one has bothered to welcome or talk to Eric and our daughter Saraí. They have found a more loving congregation in Texas City, but being a bit farther than their home when they run late they worship here. On this Communion Sunday, at a table we call the Lord and announce it is for everyone, Carli and Caitlin waited for a long time to be served. They knelt and saw the minister staring at them but they were not served in what they said seemed like twenty minutes. When a man knelt next to them they were finally served. After a sermon on forgiveness, my anger has turned to sadness. It helped to share this incident with my church counil at our spiritual retreat. The congregation at First UMC has welcomed Nellie and our girls with so much love that I pinch myself from time to time but celebrate the love of the Lord in our midst.

Martin, thank you again for your leadership. I know your absence from your children was their ultimate sacrifice paid for the good of humankind in our country. They have done quite well in their maturity and in the way they have carried on in the legacy you left them. I pray that next year we can report that even in some congregations some improvements to welcoming ALL will be celebrated.

Rest in peace.


Eradio Valverde, Jr.