Tuesday, October 05, 2010

ARE YOU A GLORIOUS NITPICKER?

God of light, shine brightly in the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today: 2 Timothy 2: 8 Fix this picture firmly in your mind: Jesus, descended from the line of David, raised from the dead. It's what you've heard from me all along. 9 It's what I'm sitting in jail for right now - but God's Word isn't in jail! 10 That's why I stick it out here - so that everyone God calls will get in on the salvation of Christ in all its glory. 11 This is a sure thing: If we die with him, we'll live with him; 12 If we stick it out with him, we'll rule with him; If we turn our backs on him, he'll turn his back on us; 13 If we give up on him, he does not give up - for there's no way he can be false to himself. 14 Repeat these basic essentials over and over to God's people. Warn them before God against pious nitpicking, which chips away at the faith. It just wears everyone out. 15 Concentrate on doing your best for God, work you won't be ashamed of, laying out the truth plain and simple. (The Message)

Driving from San Antonio to my first charge conference, I spotted so many people doing so many things on that early Sunday morning. And none of those things involved church or worship. I passed slow moving trucks pulling boats, others with RVs attached, I saw people mowing their lawns, washing cars... and a list too long to share here. And here we read of one who sat in a jail cell for preaching Christ. This version of the Bible says, "But God's Word isn't in jail!" No, it's not! We're the ones in captivity to ourselves and our desires, and we miss out on sharing "the salvation of Christ in all its glory." Why have we lost our way when it comes to the things of Christ Jesus? And why since Paul's day do we find in our churches, those whom Paul says are "pious nitpickers" instead of glory-sharers?

Our task should be as Pauls says to share that wonderful message that he summed up in this way: We know the "sure thing: If we die with him, we'll live with him; if we stick it out with him, he does not give up - for there's no way he can be false to himself." Ours should be the joy of concentrating on doing our all and our best for God, and God and we, will be blessed for it.

PRAYER: Loving God, sometimes I do lose my way and I place my priorities in the wrong place. Help me to see what it is I need to be doing. I ask forgiveness for those times I have been a pious nitpicker instead of one who shares with others Your glory. Bless Your church and help us bless those not yet in your church. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde