Thursday, October 14, 2010

THE BEST MEAL OF THE DAY?

God of all days, bless and protect this dear reader in all that they may face or do today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from Psalm 119:97-104: 97 Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all the day long. 98 Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. 99 I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. 100 I've become wiser than the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me. 101 I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil so I can spend all my time keeping your Word. 102 I never make detours from the route you laid out; you gave me such good directions. 103 Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking. 104 With your instruction, I understand life; that's why I hate false propaganda.

They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I don't know who "they" are, perhaps the folks at Denny's or iHop? Seriously, I know who "they" are, and I agree. That special nutritional fuel we receive at that critical point of the day serves us well throughout the day. The start of a day is when one needs to be most alert and awake and ready for the challenges that may come our way. The psalmist says that for him, to start the day in the Word of God is what he needs most. As he reads the Word, he knows that this scripture has come from God and it comes with exactly what he needed for that day. Who doesn't want an edge on those who might trip us up? Who, after reading the Scriptures day after day, does not realize that the Word of God ever gets obsolete? And then he shares how he has become smarter and wiser by spending time in God's Word. You have heard that as we stray farther from the Bible, not only do we become biblically illiterate, we also have diminished in our ability to communicate well and effectively. We run the danger of our children or grandchildren not knowing important or powerful references to the giants of the Word when used even in secular terms.

God's Word helps map out our day. And if you take David's advice, look upon God's Word as the choicest, tastiest meal for your spirit you can have. You'll be blessed and you'll understand life even to the fullest.

PRAYER: Loving God, I ask that I might be blessed in reading this portion of Your Word. I ask that You help me understand today and life, and that as I do, I might see that what Your Son shared with me was true: He came to share life with me and that to the fullest. Let me be a blessing to You. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde



Prayer Update: Rev. J. C. Williams underwent a successful procedure yesterday and he is thankful for our prayers. The last update from Rev. Virgilio Vasquez-Garza was that he was in Houston, awaiting a plane home to San Antonio. Thank you dear friends, for your prayers.