Monday, October 11, 2010

PERSISTENT, NEVER GIVING UP FAITH!

Lord of all days, teach us to enjoy each day to the fullest; bless this dear reader to enjoy their day; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from Luke 18: 1 Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. 2 He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. 3 A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!' 4 "He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. 5 But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice - otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black and blue by her pounding.'" 6 Then the Master said, "Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? 7 So what makes you think God won't step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won't he stick up for them? 8 I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?" (The Message)

As I have traveled from church to church we have had a conversation about prayer. Most of the time it is me telling them how important it is to pray. In some churches I have learned about prayer trees, prayer chains and prayer "lawyers." (Unless my hearing is failing and they said "warriors.") Prayer is worship. Prayer is constant. Prayer is sharing and listening. Prayer is never giving up or losing hope or heart after praying to the Most High. Jesus uses this parable to share that lesson with His listeners. He uses images and illustrations to help people relate. Everyone knew a widow and everyone knew the sad state of widows in his day. And everyone knew at least the position of judge if not a judge personally. And Jesus plays on this to help the people understand our role in prayer. Jesus is not comparing God to being a judge, but says that if we contantly pray, that is to keep our need before God, God will answer our prayer. It may not be exactly to our request and sometimes it may even be a loud and clear no to our request, but it will be answered. It is interesting to note that this passage ends with a question: "How much of that king of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when He returns?"

I pray that He will find it in you and me!

PRAYER: Loving God, teach me again, how to pray and to pray in a way that is worshipful and worthy. Let me listen after I pray to what You may say to me. Help me to have the kind of faith that Jesus wants me to have. And let me show those who ask how to have that same faith. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde