Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WHOSE TIME IS IT?

Amazing God, how awesome it is that You know the name and need of this dear reader. Bless them today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text comes from Habakkuk 1: 1 The problem as God gave Habakkuk to see it: 2 God, how long do I have to cry out for help before you listen? How many times do I have to yell, "Help! Murder! Police!" before you come to the rescue? 3 Why do you force me to look at evil, stare trouble in the face day after day? Anarchy and violence break out, quarrels and fights all over the place. 4 Law and order fall to pieces. Justice is a joke. The wicked have the righteous hamstrung and stand justice on its head. God Says, "Look!" 1 What's God going to say to my questions? I'm braced for the worst. I'll climb to the lookout tower and scan the horizon. I'll wait to see what God says, how he'll answer my complaint. 2 And then God answered: "Write this. Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. 3 This vision-message is a witness pointing to what's coming. It aches for the coming - it can hardly wait! And it doesn't lie. If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. It will come right on time. 4 "Look at that man, bloated by self-importance - full of himself but soul-empty. But the person in right standing before God through loyal and steady believing is fully alive, really alive.

I will never forget sitting on the porch of an old educational building or house in Seguin at a youth retreat and the teacher of our group was introducing the prophet Habakkuk (en espanol) saying, "The easiest way to remember the name of this book is to remember that it sounds like "Have a Coke!" And it worked. What he said after that introduction, I have forgotten. Sorry. Today the prophet is saying that many have been the times we have called to God asking for help or direction and it seems like it never comes or it never comes soon enough. We glance at our watches and want it all to be on our time. The urgency of our problem makes it seem like we need answers immediately. God's response? My answer is coming and it's coming on My time. The last verse is the clue. The person who is loyal and steady before the Lord knows exactly when the response will come and through that faith and obedience comes life, abundant life, as only God can provide.

What is troubling your soul? What's bothering you about your family or church? Are you truly waiting on God or have you made the problem seem so big that you want a rushed answer? Hear again what God is saying to us: I have heard you and in my love for you I will answer. Your answer will come right on time.

PRAYER: Lord, grant me patience especially those times when I rush You or rush myself into wanting an immediate answer to what I sense as world-ending. I know You love me too much to ignore me and that Your response will come right on time. Your time, not mine. Praise You! In Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde