Monday, October 18, 2010

OUR MORNING MIRROR

God of healing and health, be with the health needs of this dear reader and their family; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Luke 18: 9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

Most people claim they don't know how to pray. In this story told by Jesus, the problem was in the person, not the prayer. Two men are in the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, a respected member of Jewish society, and the other was among the most disrespected, a tax collector. Their ways of life made them respected and dishonored. When facing God in prayer, this is how they reacted: The Pharisee's prayer was telling; God, thank you for making me me! I'm so good! You know, Lord, just how good I am; I tithe, I fast, I'm in worship and thank You for not making me like other people, especially those bad ones, people who take things that are not theirs, or disrespectful, partying sorts, or men who step out on their wives or even like this bad man right over here near me, a tax collector! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

The tax collector, on the other hand, could not even lift up his head from the guilt and shame he had from his life and lifestyle and said simply, "Lord, have mercy on me, I am a sinner!" Jesus then answers the question those listening may have had about these two people and their prayers, "Who do you think was made right in God's sight? One was justified, and that was the tax collector. Be careful how you see yourself - those who think too much of themselves will realize out soon they are not what they think they are; and those who seek to be humble, will be lifted up."

Nothing like a mirror first thing in the morning is there? Jesus' parables and stories always serve as these for us. Today's lesson is honest and for some, brutal, in the stark realization that we are not always what we think we are, especially those who work hard at making themselves look that way.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank you for the mirror of truth. Help me to be Your servant in my attitude and life towards You and others. Remind me that I need to be honest with You always and honest with myself as well. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde

PS A prayer request for two of my grandchildren and their run-ins with "bugs" of the season: Sarai Evangelina with a severe cough, and Liam had a stomach bug yesterday.