Sunday, June 22, 2008

GWENYTH "GWEENIE" VALVERDE


Good day dear friends.

This morning I found the body of our beloved dauchsand on Business 83 and Stuart Place, run over by some driver. Gweenie had been our dog for almost five years, having been rescued from the streets of West side San Antonio by some friends. Gweenie loved to run away and we thought the fence in our new home would keep her in, but her small size allowed her to squeeze under our fence. We had noticed she didn't like to run off after dark, so yesterday evening we fed her and we left to go visit our daughter. When we came back she wasn't home and I drove around the neighborhood and beyond calling for her but no answer. We went to bed sad, hoping and praying she would be scratching at our door this morning.

The first thing I did this morning was to look in the back yard and the front. I opened our garage door because many times that would "call" her and she would come running, but this morning nothing. I went to gas the car and as I turned onto Business 83 I saw her body.
We thank God for the years we had with Gweenie. She found her way into our hearts immediately and her death affects us much. I've gone from weeping to anger at her silliness in wanting to get out, yet realizing that was her nature.

Responding to a dying old woman's inquiry James Herriot, the late British author/veterinarian noted:

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyaltyand gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot ofhumans. You've nothing to worry about there."He goes to note regarding animalsjoining their masters in the afterlife:"I do believe it. With all my heart I believe it."

James Herriot "Dog Stories" chapter The Card Over the Bed .

I believe it too.

e.v.