Friday, June 13, 2008

MOVING DAY!


Good day dear friends.

As we start our morning devotional time, please be in prayer for Mrs. Donna Steman, from our new church here in FUMC-Harlingen, who underwent open heart surgery. Donna had a double bypass performed on her, and she is recovering well, thanks to God. We also continue to ask prayer for our brother, Mr. Jodie Polk, who is home now but in need of our continued prayers as he battles cancer.

Our text this day comes from Mark 10:29 Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields, for my sake and for the sake of the good news, {Or [gospel]} 30 who will not receive a hundredfold now in this age--houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children, and fields with persecutions--and in the age to come eternal life."

Yesterday was the "official" moving day of the Southwest Texas Conference. Though some, like yours truly, moved early, others find themselves at the mercy of movers and circumstances. The Rev. Steve Purdy, outgoing pastor of Harlingen First, won't be moved until next week, but he has to preach in his new setting this Sunday. Thus I saw he rented a large size trailer to haul needed stuff to his new home in Seguin. So I ask prayers for brothers and sisters who are moving during this time. I know the movers are all singing, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus!"
Moving is a big deal. Jesus knew that when He said the words we read above, for He knew that for His sake we would be asked to move for the sake of sharing the good news. My first move came when I was 13. It was a welcomed move only in the sense that it united our family. My dad could no longer find work in the Kingsville area and our across-the-street neighbor had been working in Houston for some time and he invited Dad to go with him one Sunday afternoon to Houston. I picture Dad like Abram having to leave behind wife, five children, his mother, sister, brother-in-laws, etc. to find work. I don't remember him actually driving off, but I remember crying and finding that in prayer I had a needed comfort. Dad worked there for six months, coming home every weekend to be with us. Sometimes he had a ride; other times he hitchhiked. Finally the day come in mid-Fall to move. I was glad because I had told my band director that I was not carrying my very heavy baritone home for the weekend because we were moving. I had overheard Mom's conversation with Dad and I was praying (hard!) for that move to transpire. Mr. Babbit pulled me into his office and promised me death if that move did not happen. Imagine my grin on Monday morning by Mom's side as she signed me out of school!
My second move was for the sake of the gospel. I left Houston for Jacksonville, Texas, to begin my education into ordained ministry. I felt and answered the call in eleventh grade and by the time college rolled around I knew where I needed to be. The move was not easy and I still remember that first night in my dorm crying into my pillow knowing that I had indeed, left father and mother, brothers and sisters, for the sake of Jesus and His gospel. Jesus' words are true. I made many brothers and sisters during that first year away from home, and yes, even had mothers and fathers watching over me, yes, even in college.

Yet today I know there are those in the Lord's work who feel some deep sadness because they are so far from loved ones. I feel it only sometimes, Nellie more often. But I look forward with faith, to the fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, granddaughters and grandsons that I will receive here. I still love mine very much and I'm thankful our oldest is near, in fact, she spent the night to help Mom and Dad make some sense of the many boxes whose contents are being questioned.

PRAYER: Loving God of all moves, I pray for safety and blessing for those who move today. I pray especially for pastors who are leaving family either for the first time or the hundreth time. Bring to life Your Son's words as they find new family and friends in the work to which you have called them and me. I pray for those family members who are staying behind, bring them peace and joy even in the midst of a move. I pray a blessing on the churches receiving us as well as those who have bid us farewell. I pray healing for those mentioned in this devotional as well as others reading this who have a need either in themselves or in loved ones. All in Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

e.v.