Monday, June 23, 2008

SITTING ON THE PREMISES




Good day dear friends.


Our thanks to so many who sent us emails of comfort and condolences. The loss of a pet really hurts; but your words and prayers have blessed us.


Here is our text for today: John 21:6 He (Jesus) said to them, "Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you will find some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in because there were so many fish.


Throughout His ministry, Jesus used a boat. He preached from one, traveled by one, helped feed people from one, and even helped His disciples feed themselves in one. We see Jesus getting into a boat or getting out of one. He takes the disciples to deeper water or as in today's verse, tells them to fish on the other side of the boat. In all stories, it was Jesus in control, with folks doing what He said. And so it is with us, as Christians and as members of a church. Let Jesus be in control, let Jesus guide us, and do what Jesus says we should do.


We heard a wonderful sermon yesterday by our new associate, Pastor Katy Fitzhugh. She used Luke 5:1-11 as her text and she made three great points about discipleship. Her sermon was called "From Pew Sitting to Faith Living." I expected her to use the illustration of how instead of "Standing on the Promises," we're content to be "Sitting on the Premises."


Ours is a call to action and excitement about what Jesus can do. A life lived in Jesus is never a dull one. A life guided by Jesus is never a lost one. A life obedient to Jesus is always a full one.
How do we know what Jesus wants? By being in constant communication with Him, through prayer, Bible study, worship, discussion groups, sharing times, etc. If you seek to know Jesus, you'll what what He needs from you. And your life will be blessed.


PRAYER: Loving God, we thank You for Jesus. Let me and my church be guided by You. I turn over my life, my family, my church, my everything, to You. Use me and guide me. Let me see what together You and I can do. I pray this in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.


Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!


e.v.


PS Those living in the Harlingen area: Today Vacation Bible School gets underway at our church. Surfin' through the Scriptures! is our theme. It starts at 1:30 and goes through 5:30. Everyone is welcome!