Sunday, June 15, 2008

REMEMBER WHEN YOU USED TO...


Good day dear friends,

First a Happy Father's Day to all the dads who are reading this. I pray God's wisdom, love, compassion, and grace be with you during this day. May you look beyond the new ties, hankerchiefs, plasma tvs, etc., into the loving eyes of those who presented them to you.

Here is our text for today:

Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? 10 Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!"

How quickly times flies. It seems only yesterday Nellie and I would travel everywhere in a car filled with girls. Having two daughters with us this weekend allowed us to enjoy old stories and to share those with our new son-in-law, Jorge, Nellie's husband. Jorge has done a lot for us during his weekend with us, and even as we were moving in he took one of our five-gallon water jugs and filled it. Yesterday we drank the last of it, and I said, "Remember Jorge, when you used to buy us water, and we liked it a lot?" The girls started laughing because that was their ploy, usually after school, to get Mom and Dad to buy them something like Skittles or Starbursts. It was Nellie, our daughter, who came up with it as she would say, "Remember Dad (or Mom) when you used to buy us Skittles, and we liked them a lot?" We would reply, yes. "I do like them a lot!" And Nellie would wink at me and we would stop at the store.
Father's Day is a great day to honor and love your dad. Even if your dad is now with the Lord, it's a great day to sit and remember all the good that your dad shared with you, and honor him in that way. If your dad wasn't all that good, this day can serve as a day of forgiveness when you say to God, "I forgive my dad for all that he did against me. Help me to overcome those memories and be thankful for what I learned from it to help me be a better person (parent)."
Father's Day is also a great day to remember our true Father, who is in Heaven. Re-read the text above and be thankful for what God does and is doing in your life.

PRAYER: Father, I thank You for Your love. I thank you for this day and I ask you help me be a blessing to all, especially those who call me father. Let me honor my dad today. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Be in prayer for those first-time-in-the-pulpit-preachers in their new churches!

e.v.