Monday, July 14, 2008

AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE


Good day dear friends.

Here is our study guide for today:

The story of Cain and Abel comes to an end when Cain kills Abel because of their offerings to the Lord. This story is found in Genesis 4:3. What is the difference between the two offerings?

Here is that text: 3 In the course of time Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground, 4 and Abel for his part brought of the firstlings of his flock, their fat portions. And the Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, 5 but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.

Someone taught both boys how to worship and give to the Lord. Yet, both being their own individual persons, one felt that to offer to the Lord "an offering" would be the same as offering "the firstlings" and "fat portions." Do you see a difference between the two?

There is the difference of attitude and gratitude. Abel approached the Lord with the first and the best of what God had given to him. Cain came with almost an afterthought of what may have been leftover from all that God had given him. As I shared from my tithing story, the first of my $1.50, the fifteen cents, went into the envelope even before I spent any of the $1.35 left over. I thank God for parents who taught me about tithing and has allowed it to be one of my holy habits. There were some nights that I would get off work and my mom would drive me to the movie theatre but I had already put the fifteen cents in the church envelope.

What's your attitude towards God? Do you remember God first? Is your tithe check the first you write, or is it after you've paid Visa, Sears, the mortgage, etc.? What is that saying about your gratitude towards the Lord?

PRAYER: All things come from You, loving Father, and for that we praise You and love You. May my attitude always be one of gratitude towards You for lovingly sharing with me exactly what I need. I ask Your continued presence with me in all things, in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

e.v.