Tuesday, July 15, 2008

TRUSTING GOD


Good day dear friends.

Please be in prayer for the family of John Morrissett of San Marcos, Texas. John went to be with the Lord yesterday. John was one of my biggest fans in SM, claiming I never preached a bad sermon during my tenure there at FUMC. John was a tireless worker, heading up the Salvation Army, and being very active in his Lions Club. John was the chief bellringer for the Salvation Army during the Christmas season, endlessly recruiting so many to pick up the bell and ring the joys of the season, all the while raising needed funds for the ministry of SA in San Marcos. I know John will be deeply missed by his church family.

Here is our study guide for today: The Old Testament closes with the prophet Malachi. There are incredible things shared there about the coming of the Lord, the return of Moses and Elijah, but in chapter 3:8 an important question is asked about our giving and tithing. Read this passage and YOU decide how serious God is about our giving.

Here is that passage: Malachi 3:7 Ever since the days of your ancestors you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, "How shall we return?" 8 Will anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing me! But you say, "How are we robbing you?" In your tithes and offerings! 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me—the whole nation of you! 10 Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.

As was stressed in our sermon on Sunday and as stressed by Jesus, giving is a serious, spiritual matter. The prophet Malachi's book does not diminish that in his sharing of God's word as the Old Testament closes. The OT ends with an invitation to return to God and to trust God like never before. The seriousness of our giving God says is to do less than God requires. To "rob" God is a serious charge. Ours is to trust God and to release to God that which is God's to begin with. It's a spiritual promise: Give unto God and you will be blessed in ways that God says compares to "the windows of heaven" are opened for you and the gift is poured "down for you (as) an overflowing blessing."

PRAYER: Loving God, help me to trust and give to You as I should. I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

e.v.