Monday, March 05, 2007

WHEN IN DOUBT, PRAY IT OUT!


A young Englishman worked hard to book passage on a ship bound for America. He had tried several times to find rewarding and lasting work and could not provide for himself, and with what little money he had saved and borrowing a significant amount from his uncle, he boarded a ship for the United States. His mother had given him a loaf of bread and some hard cheese for the trip and he knew it wouldn't last for the entire two week crossing. He ate very little when the dinner bell would ring for guests to make their way into the dining room, peeking every now and again to see the scrumptious meals the others were enjoying. He imagined the bites of bread and cheese to be just like that that was being served inside. One day another fellow caught him eating bread and cheese and asked him why he had never joined them inside for the meals. The man replied he had only paid for the ticket of passage; the other fellow said, "Don't you know your ticket includes the meals?"
This is how so many approach the reading of God's word. It contains so many blessings and joys and we carry on our lives empty of its blessings because we think we can't understand it or we don't have time for it. We certainly make time to eat! Why can't we make time to nourish ourselves on the word of God?
We started a yearlong journey of faith into reading the whole Bible. Yesterday our sermon was called, "The Muddle of The Story" and we focused on Genesis 3:1-8, and saw we humans came to muddle the perfectness of God's story.
Today, we're getting ahead for next week's sermon by studying the University of the Way's study guide: Monday: Read Genesis 14 & 15. Can you recall a time when what seemed impossible, you “believed the Lord?” Say more about that.
To read Genesis 14 online click here: http://bible.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?new=1&word=gen+14§ion=0&version=nrs&language=en
To read Genesis 15 online click here:http://bible.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?word=Genesis+14§ion=0&version=nrs&new=1&oq=&NavBook=ge&NavGo=14&NavNextChapter=%3E%3E&NavCurrentChapter=14
We've all faced things or situations where it seemed impossible. My father and mother had faith that all five of use could complete our college education. It was a given that when we finished high school we would go to college. There were no ands, ifs or buts, just go. It seemed easier said than done. My dad was the only one working outside of the home, and to obtain a college education would require money. But what may have seemed impossible for me, did not to God. I was blessed with a pastor who had attended Lon Morris College, and who knew that I could attend there and work my way through there by working on-campus. I applied, was visited by one of LMC's college instructors in Sociology,and I decided that was where I was to go. The pastor, The Rev. Guillermo Chavez, had arranged for me to receive a preministerial scholarship that included my working in the kitchen as a dishwasher, but to me that was great! I worked hard (not only in the dishwashing department, but in my job of studying) and in my second year was nominated by the school to receive a Ford Foundation scholarship which I received that allowed me to complete my education at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas. God made this possible.
What are you facing that seems impossible? The story you will read in the two chapters involve great challenges, including unexpected, unexplainable biological ones, yet for God nothing is impossible.
PRAYER: God of all possibilities, grant me faith to trust You in all things. When something seems impossible give me faith and wisdom, and in all things, Your will be done. Amen!
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.