Friday, March 09, 2007

WHAT HAS GOD REQUIRED OF YOU?

Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:
Friday: Read Genesis 22 & 23 and try to describe a time in your faith where it seemed that you were called to an ultimate sacrifice.
What has God asked you to do that has seemed like an ultimate sacrifice? Does it compare with the story we find below in Chapter 22, where God asks Abraham to sacrifice his long-awaited son? Sometimes we make it seem that way! In all things that God asks from us, God will reward us with something even better that at the time we thought not possible.
In chapter 23, Abraham fearfully asks to be given permission to buy a burial plot for his wife Sarah, but he is treated as a man of God and told he can get the best of their burial plots and when he mentions the plot he wants, he is given the land free! But he insists that he can't receive it free and asks to be able to pay for it, and so he does. An unexpected blessing! Isn't God just like that?
PRAYER: Loving God ask what You will of me and give me strength and boldness to say YES. I pray that I might find favor in Your eyes. I pray in He who gave of Himself, Jesus our Lord. Amen.
Have a blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.
(After the sharing of devotional thoughts and a prayer, I will post the recommended chapters below.)
The Message genesis 22 - Study This Chapter 1 After all this, God tested Abraham. God said, "Abraham!" "Yes?" answered Abraham. "I'm listening." 2 He said, "Take your dear son Isaac whom you love and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I'll point out to you." 3 Abraham got up early in the morning and saddled his donkey. He took two of his young servants and his son Isaac. He had split wood for the burnt offering. He set out for the place God had directed him. 4 On the third day he looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 Abraham told his two young servants, "Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I are going over there to worship; then we'll come back to you." 6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and gave it to Isaac his son to carry. He carried the flint and the knife. The two of them went off together. 7 Isaac said to Abraham his father, "Father?" "Yes, my son." "We have flint and wood, but where's the sheep for the burnt offering?" 8 Abraham said, "Son, God will see to it that there's a sheep for the burnt offering." And they kept on walking together. 9 They arrived at the place to which God had directed him. Abraham built an altar. He laid out the wood. Then he tied up Isaac and laid him on the wood. 10 Abraham reached out and took the knife to kill his son. 11 Just then an angel of God called to him out of Heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Yes, I'm listening." 12 "Don't lay a hand on that boy! Don't touch him! Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you didn't hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for me." 13 Abraham looked up. He saw a ram caught by its horns in the thicket. Abraham took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 Abraham named that place God-Yireh (God-Sees-to-It). That's where we get the saying, "On the mountain of God, he sees to it." 15 The angel of God spoke from Heaven a second time to Abraham: 16 "I swear - God's sure word! - because you have gone through with this, and have not refused to give me your son, your dear, dear son, 17 I'll bless you - oh, how I'll bless you! And I'll make sure that your children flourish - like stars in the sky! like sand on the beaches! And your descendants will defeat their enemies. 18 All nations on Earth will find themselves blessed through your descendants because you obeyed me." 19 Then Abraham went back to his young servants. They got things together and returned to Beersheba. Abraham settled down in Beersheba. 20 After all this, Abraham got the news: "Your brother Nahor is a father! Milcah has given him children: 21 Uz, his firstborn, his brother Buz, Kemuel (he was the father of Aram), 22 Kesed, Hazo, Pildash, Jidlaph, and Bethuel." 23 (Bethuel was the father of Rebekah.) Milcah gave these eight sons to Nahor, Abraham's brother. 24 His concubine, Reumah, gave him four more children: Tebah, Gaham, Tahash, and Maacah.
Chapter 23 The Message1 Sarah lived 127 years. 2 Sarah died in Kiriath Arba, present-day Hebron, in the land of Canaan. Abraham mourned for Sarah and wept. 3 Then Abraham got up from mourning his dead wife and spoke to the Hittites: 4 "I know I'm only an outsider here among you, but sell me a burial plot so that I can bury my dead decently." 5 The Hittites responded, 6 "Why, you're no mere outsider here with us, you're a prince of God! Bury your dead wife in the best of our burial sites. None of us will refuse you a place for burial." 7 Then Abraham got up, bowed respectfully to the people of the land, the Hittites, 8 and said, "If you're serious about helping me give my wife a proper burial, intercede for me with Ephron son of Zohar. 9 Ask him to sell me the cave of Machpelah that he owns, the one at the end of his land. Ask him to sell it to me at its full price for a burial plot, with you as witnesses." 10 Ephron was part of the local Hittite community. Then Ephron the Hittite spoke up, answering Abraham with all the Hittites who were part of the town council listening: 11 "Oh no, my master! I couldn't do that. The field is yours - a gift. I'll give it and the cave to you. With my people as witnesses, I give it to you. Bury your deceased wife." 12 Abraham bowed respectfully before the assembled council 13 and answered Ephron: "Please allow me - I want to pay the price of the land; take my money so that I can go ahead and bury my wife." 14 Then Ephron answered Abraham, 15 "If you insist, master. What's four hundred silver shekels between us? Now go ahead and bury your wife." 16 Abraham accepted Ephron's offer and paid out the sum that Ephron had named before the town council of Hittites - four hundred silver shekels at the current exchange rate. 17 That's how Ephron's field next to Mamre - the field, its cave, and all the trees within its borders - 18 became Abraham's property. The town council of Hittites witnessed the transaction. 19 Abraham then proceeded to bury his wife Sarah in the cave in the field of Machpelah that is next to Mamre, present-day Hebron, in the land of Canaan. 20 The field and its cave went from the Hittites into Abraham's possession as a burial plot. Isaac and Rebekah The Message