Monday, April 23, 2007

TWENTY-ONE ALTARS


Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:Monday: Numbers 22, 23, 24Balaam is an interesting case of a biblical character. We see him as a betrayer of God’s plan and leads Israel astray. What signs of such ultimate sin do you see in this man?
I've always known about Balaam thanks to his talking donkey. My mother first told me this story and having been raised on Disney found it incredible that the Bible first used talking animals. I wish I could remember the way she told me the story the thing that caught my attention was that a donkey could talk. I knew the Disney animals were cartoons and not real, but to hear a story from the Bible where the donkey spoke made me realize there could be some truth to this; what's it about? The poor donkey in this story speaks because of Balaam's anger. Balaam is a very angry man. To his credit he believes in God but he practices sorcery along with trying to be a prophet of sorts. And he confesses that he mixed in some sorcery with the sacrifices he lifted up.
A total of twenty-one altars were built in hopes of trying to get a better response from God. Those seeking curses on Israel believed it depended on the angle. These are the original church-hoppers. They hear one thing they don't like in church and off they go to another one! They secretly hope God will speak to them in ways they want rather than what God wants.
Balaam also couldn't hear what God said and leave it at that. It seems it would have been easier for him to have heard once the order from God to not curse Israel and return home, but at three different times and different sites he sets up his altars to see what God may share with him.
Do you think that if you sat on the opposite side of the church God's word would be different for you? Do you honestly believe that if you leave one church because you're angry or hurt that would make a difference in what God expects from you? Shouldn't the real change occur first in us rather than expecting God to change?
PRAYER: Everlasting God speak to my heart today about what I am to do and who I am to be. Forgive my anger and resentment towards others and let me seek to please You. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blesse day in the Lord!
e.v.