Monday, April 30, 2007

WHAT IS YOUR CHRISTIAN SHEMA?


Good day dear friends.
I thank God for your understanding yesterday during my absence due to illness. I have a 9 a.m. appointment with my doctor and I hope he can make me feel better. I had a terrible night but God was and is with me. My thanks to Pastor Leslie and Kit for filling in at the last minute to preach at all three services.
Here is our study guide for today: Monday: Deuteronomy 6,7,8What can you think of in the New Testament that might be as crucial to the Christian as Deuteronomy 6:4 (the Shema) is to the Jew?
The Shema in my opinion is as valid for the Christian as it is to the Jew. It states their faith in one verse and it affirms who they are in relation to God. Years ago we went to visit my brother in South Florida and he took us to several stores most of them run by Jewish merchants, and I noticed that in each piece of artwork or merchandise there was a small piece of paper with Hebrew writing on it. I asked one of the store owners what it was and he very proudly said, "The Shema!" I asked if I could see one and he gave it to me.
Which New Testament verse states your faith? The obvious one is John 3:16 for many. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him might not perish but have everlasting life." Others might say, Romans 8:1-2 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death." What about Romans 1:16: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."
Whichever one rings true for you, you should know it and embrace it and use it. How often have you shared that with someone? What makes your faith stand out so that others can find in you a ready faithful friend?
PRAYER: Loving God, make me a person of Your word. Let my faith shine in all things, so that others may know how much You have done for me and can do for them. I pray this in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.